ABC Asbestos Binding Compound | Encapsulant Coating
VIEW IN OUR STORE
When high costs make asbestos removal an unsuitable choice, you can manage asbestos in-place through encapsulation. ABC Asbestos Binding Compound, our flagship product, is the world's most successful encapsulation solution. This highly effective, industry-standard, high-solids encapsulant meets Environmental Protection Agency guidelines. It's ideal for sealing in asbestos-containing material, as laboratory tests have shown. The EPA recommends you apply two coats for maximum effectiveness. Dilute the first coat with water so it can penetrate and bind the asbestos-containing material. Then apply the second coat at full strength. A-B-C completely encapsulates all fibers beneath a flexible, impact-resistant seal. A-B-C can also be diluted to perform just about any asbestos control task, from encapsulation to pre-removal wetting or room misting to post-removal lockdown of asbestos fibers.
PREPARATION: Prior to application it is important to determine if the existing asbestos matrix is well-adhered to the substrate. Correct any surface defects and clean all surfaces thoroughly. Be careful not to agitate asbestos fibers during preparation; this could increase asbestos exposure. Stir A-B-C thoroughly to achieve a uniform consistency. A-B-C may be diluted with water for different applications.
ENCAPSULATION: PENETRANT: For most fibrous asbestos applications such as “cotton candy” style fireproofing or compressed acoustic material less than 2 inches thick, add 1 part water to 1 part A-B-C. Using the proper spray equipment settings listed below, apply A-B-C to the Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) until saturated. Multiple passes may be required, allowing time between passes for dissipation of the solution into the matrix. Full saturation is achieved when the ACM will not absorb any more of the encapsulant into the matrix. Coverage, depending on thickness and porosity of the material, can vary between 50 - 75 sq. ft./gal.
BRIDGING AGENT: Apply A-B-C at full strength with an airless sprayer in accordance with the settings listed below. Hold the spray gun perpendicular to the Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) with the tip of the gun between 12 and 18 inches from the surface. Coverage should be between 75 - 100 sq. ft./gal. When A-B-C is applied before the penetrating coat dries, additional capillary action and bonding cohesive strength will be achieved. According to the EPA, asbestos encapsulants should be applied until a minimum dry film thickness of 20 mils is achieved.
REMOVAL / LOCKDOWN: Removal is recommended for loosely adhered ACM. Mix 4 parts water to 1 part A-B-C and apply to ACM. AB-C will facilitate removal by penetrating into the ACM and by keeping it moist and sticky. After the ACM has been removed, apply 1 part A-B-C diluted with 1 part water to seal residual fibers left on substrate.
EQUIPMENT: Professional models of all brands of spray equipment can be used to successfully apply A-B-C. You will also need a respirator and any safety gear necessary for your particular situation, such as asbestos disposal bags, safety coveralls, or asbestos glove bags.
DRYING TIME: Drying time will vary based on thickness and porosity of the ACM being encapsulated. Under normal drying conditions (77° F @ 50% R.H.), A-B-C dries to the touch in 1 to 2 hours.
CLEANUP: Tools and drippings should be cleaned with warm soapy water before coating dries. Follow equipment manufacturer's directions to clean spray equipment. Dispose of all waste according to current Local, State and Federal regulations.
Lag Kote II Asbestos Encapsulant Coating
• Lag-Kote is a 100% acrylic, high-solids encasement/encapsulation coating, specifically formulated for application over a variety of asbestos containing materials. Tested and EPA accepted at Battelle Laboratories of Columbus, Ohio, under EPA Contract #68-03-2552-T2005, Lag-Kote was found to be an acceptable encapsulant. Lag-Kote was designed to encase asbestos-containing spray-on fireproofing, transite, and thermal insulation. Lag-Kote's viscous formulation minimizes dripping, clean-up and product waste. Lag-Kote provides a smooth, washable, aesthetically superior finish that will provide years of lasting protection. Lag-Kote has excellent resistance to alkalis and can be applied directly over galvanized metal, ferrous metal, masonry or other sound surfaces. UV inhibitors make Lag-Kote suitable for encasement of exterior asbestos containing materials including transite. Lag-Kote is water-base and non-toxic.
Lag-Kote is a 100% acrylic, high solids encasement/encapsulation coating specifically formulated for application over a variety of asbestos containing materials (ACM). Lag-Kote is an EPA accepted coating for the encasement/encapsulation of ACM. It was tested at Battelle Columbus Laboratories of Columbus, Ohio, under EPA Contract #08-03-2552-T2005, and found to be acceptable as an encapsulant.
Designed to encase spray-on fireproofing, asbestos-containing plasters and paints, transite, and asbestos-containing thermal insulation, Lag-Kote’s viscous formulation minimizes dripping, clean-up and product waste. Lag-Kote provides a smooth, washable, aesthetically-superior finish that will provide years of lasting protection. Lag-Kote has excellent resistance to alkalis and can be applied directly over galvanized metal, wood, masonry or other sound surfaces. UV inhibitors make Lag-Kote suitable for encasement of exterior asbestos containing materials. Lag-Kote yields an opaque, bright white finish, or can be factory tinted to meet specific color requirements. Lag-Kote is water-based and non-toxic.
VIEW 2 GALLON UNIT IN OUR STORE
VIEW 5 GALLON UNIT IN OUR STORE
• Solids by Weight: 48 +/-2%
• Volatile: Water
• Average particle size: 0.2 microns
• Viscosity @ 77°F: 120-130 Krebs Units
• Weight per gallon @ 77°F: 11.7 lbs.
• Film Hardness: Excellent
• Film Flexibility: Excellent
• Impact Resistance: Excellent
• Water resistance of dry film: Excellent
• Bond Strength to concrete/steel: Excellent
• Coverage: Brush: 125-175 sq.ft./gal. (5 dry mils) / Airless Spray: 600 sq.ft./gal. (1 dry mil)
• Fire Rating ASTM E84-81a: Class "A" (Southwest Research Institute)
- Flame Spread: 5
- Fuel Contribution: 0
- Smoke Density: 0
• Dry Time: 1 - 2 hours
• Shelf Life: @ 77°F, 36 months minimum, (in original factory sealed containers)
• Odor: Applied indoors, virtually odorless
• Finish: Slight gloss
• Color: Bright White
• Packaged: 5 gallon pails and 2 gallon pails
Fiberlock L-B-C Lead Barrier Compound | Lead Paint Encapsulant
• Fiberlock LBC is a lead paint encapsulant that is high-solids, elastomeric-thermoplastic, water-based copolymer that meets or exceeds all projected federal, state and local standards for lead-based paint encapsulants. Blended specifically to form a durable and flexible encapsulant barrier between lead-based pain and the environment, LBC has been independently tested to the ASTM E-1795 requirements for Category III (Type III - Interior/Exterior) encapsulants. E-1795 is the principle performance standard required, adopted and/or incorporated by reference into lead paint abatement rules and regulations at the federal, state and local levels. LBC has been certified by Massachusetts (No. DL-12362), authorized by the states of Connecticut, Ohio, New York, Maryland, Minnesota, and Colorado. LBC is accepted for use in all 50 states. LBC has also been classified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL®). LBC is environmentally friendly and complies with all federal and state VOC requirements.
LBC contains Bitrex®, a bitter tasting, non toxic, anti-ingestant to discourage oral contact with lead paint. The required minimum 7 mil dry film thickness of LBC offers unparalleled interior and exterior coverage. Additionally, the lower film thickness reduces stress on the existing paint system and maintains architectural detail.
LBC can be successfully applied to the proper thickness in one application with most major brands or airless spray equipment. LBC can also be applied by brush or roller. LBC Type III can be used for application with surface temperatures as low as 38 °F.
• Percent Solids: 62 ±2% by weight Volatile Principally water
VIEW 1 GALLON UNIT IN OUR STORE
VIEW 5 GALLON UNIT IN OUR STORE
• Average Particle Size: 0.2 microns
• Weight: at 78°F 11.5 ±0.3 lbs/gal
• Viscosity: at 78°F 105 - 130 KU
• Flash Point: Noncombustible (Water-based)
• Minimum Shelf Life: at 78°F 36 months
• Finish: Eggshell 60° spec. gloss: 4 ±1 85° spec. gloss: 3 ±1
• Drying time: at 78°F To touch: 1-2 hours Additional coats/topcoat: 8-16 hours Full cure: 30 days